27 February 2013

Some Whimsies on the Web

There are a few websites I visit regularly that I would highly recommend to pretty much anyone. Today I thought I'd share them with you. (Please pardon the higher-than-normal linky list.)

The interwebs are like the lines on your hand; mysterious, twisty, and full of speculation.
Firstly, I'd like to personally thank David Malki for keeping me laughing aloud for the past few nights and distracting me from the loneliness. He is the author of the Wondermark comic series, and we purchased two of his collections on the weekend because they looked seriously cool. His commentary on society through the use of vintage images is refreshing. Note the comic I linked to above; given my current situation, it is quite apt.

To those readers who, like myself, enjoy old cookbooks, a visit to the Feeding America: The Historic American Cookbook Project website is a must. There are PDF versions of many 19th Century rare books, and you can even browse by recipe! A must-know reader's note: the books here are old enough that they refer to recipes as 'reciepts for food'.

Being crafty, and crafty as a fox, is something I have been known for (see my awesome ascot photo here). When I want images to use in my artwork or decoupage, I always visit The Graphics Fairy. She carries all manner of vintage images on her site, all free to use and royalty free, and encourages followers to send in photos and DIY guides of the crafts made with her images.

For more colour images and instant artwork, I also go to Vintage Printable. I found some fantastic old advertising posters there to hang in the bathroom. To make the pictures look their absolute best once printed, I recommend printing on photo paper (you can get 10 sheets of 8.5 x 11" for $2 at your local Dollar Tree/Dollarama store). Also, make sure you have lots of ink in the printer. I learned that one the hard way.

If you ever need a reason to celebrate what human beings are capable of, I strongly recommend stopping by I Believe in Strangers. (Yes, the link is to my submission. Just click "Home" for the latest.) Here you can find people at their very best: strangers helping out strangers. Pour a coffee and take the time to browse. You'll feel better about the world, guaranteed.

And finally, if you're seriously bored and want to know what happens during the blog's downtime, you can follow Flat-Out Whimsy on Twitter! Don't be shy - follow me today!

0 comments:

Post a Comment