27 January 2014

Week(s) in Review: Home Sweet Home




Yeah, I know it's been forever since I posted an "In Review" piece. And to be honest, a LOT has gone on. Let's recap:
  • - I'm pregnant!
  • - We are having a boy! This photo is how we told everyone; most people got it, but there was some confusion as to whether or not it was twins.
  • - We went to Walt Disney World on our Christmas vacation!
  • - We survived Winter-Ice-Stormaggedeon-Pocalypse 2013 while visiting family in Ontario!

But I think the most recent event merits the winner of today's subject award: We bought a house!

We knew we would have to move from our apartment to have the baby (it's an adult only building) and we were looking at continuing to rent. But then Matt got word that he'll be in Edmonton bouncing from position to position for the next 5 years or so, and we figured why rent for so long when we could become responsible homeowners? So we did!

No, it wasn't as easy as all that, but it did end up very positive for us. We have purchased a new townhouse in the north of the city near the base. It's got all the bells and whistles, including hardwood flooring and granite countertops. It's 3 bedrooms and 1.5 bath - the perfect size for us, particularly since I will have to clean it... eventually. The complex itself is only around half finished, so when I say it's brand new, it's really super shiny new.

Matt and I are very excited. Neither of us have ever owned a home before, and we feel both grown-up and scared stiff at the same time. So many new changes will be coming in the next few months. The good news is that we can be all moved in by the end of February, so there will be some time for us to relax and get settled before the baby arrives to change everything again.

"She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, kid."
It has been a super experience with this company. I got to pick out my colour package for what I wanted inside, and tomorrow I get to go choose my blinds which they will install for us before we move in! It's like playing The Sims, but actually being able to live in it afterward.

My only concern left is: will the duct tape on my couch match the flooring in the living room?

1 comments:

Unknown said...

How exciting! Our first house was in North Edmonton, 19 years ago. It was a tiny little 2-bedroom, but felt like a palace at the time. Congratulations!

Post a Comment